...just a collection of people and things I find beautiful, inspirational or just wicked clever.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

One of my favourite stores

Jux.ta.po.si.tion
                    HOME





Juxtaposition Home is a store on the Newport Coast that has a great selection of new, vintage, quirky, odd and lovely things.
The store is a fantastic mixture of new upholstery furniture, custom fabrics, vintage furniture, new and old books, great funky art, lighting and odd things from 60's doctor offices. I would assume by the quality and oddness of their finds that they do some shopping in France and ship things over. In addition to their goods, the space itself is beautiful. Don't miss the giant 5ft barn fans that line the 20+ft ceilings. What drew me into the store after a quick glance through the window, were the vintage flag pillows - stunning, I have a bit of addiction for anything Union Jack and I certainly got my fix in here. Once inside I was all a gaga and it wasn't all a visual experience, to me it's really all about the texture of an item, I need to run my fingers over every item in a store, so, yes my fingers were busy in here. I love the feel of Belgian linen, old worn oak and well patinaed metal.
Needless to say, I almost missed my flight back to Vancouver.
If you're in the Orange County area or feel like taking a day trip, the store is beautifully located on PCH across the street from the ocean, sandwiched between Laguna Beach and Newport/Corona Del Mar. Take a friend and then plan on going to lunch after down road in one of the beach towns near by. 

Price tags reflect the high rent location but if you're looking for something 
really unique I can recommend the store.






I'm inspired: canvas, fabric paint, sewing machine, tea bags and pillow form...can I do it?
Wicked clever: upholstering furniture in old grain sacks.

1 comment: